Posted Date: 03/11/2020
Canute Public Schools as a whole is aware of and monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak. We are following the guidance and expertise of national and local health officials to help protect our students, staff, and community from all communicable diseases. Like the seasonal flu viruses, the coronavirus (COVID-19) spreads mainly from person to person through coughing or sneezing by people with the virus. Sometimes people may become infected by touching something with the virus on it and then touching their eyes, mouth, or nose. For that reason, we are continuing our flu season protocol of frequent and thorough hand washing, use of hand sanitizers, maintaining ample stock of cleaning supplies and disinfectants for daily use and our cleaning protocols include using our Clorox 360 Electrostatic Sprayer throughout all buildings.
As with any illness, please do not send your student to school if they are sick and running a fever. Students should be fever free without medicine for 24 hours before returning to school.
What You Can Do to Keep Yourself and Your Family Healthy:
Take everyday preventive actions to stay healthy.
Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
Stay home when you are sick.
Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
Follow public health advice regarding school closures, avoiding crowds and other social distancing measures.
Stay informed. (www.cdc.gov) The Oklahoma State Department of Health and the Oklahoma State Department of Education have partnered to provide the following specific guidance regarding Spring Break and other travels for our school families, students and district staff. Individuals returning from travel to China, South Korea, Italy, Iran, Japan or any other Level 2 or 3 country as identified by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) should self-quarantine for a period of 14 days before returning to school. This applies to all students, teachers, and other school or district staff.
Steps for returning travelers from Level 2 or 3 countries:
1. Take your temperature with a thermometer two times a day and monitor for fever. Also watch for cough or trouble breathing.
2. Stay home and avoid contact with others. Do not go to work or school for this 14-day period. Discuss your work situation with your district before returning to work or school.
3. Do not take public transportation, taxis, or ride-shares during the time you are practicing social distancing.
4. Avoid crowded places (such as shopping centers and movie theaters) and limit your activities in public.
5. Keep your distance from others (about 6 feet). Please refer frequently to the CDC Travelers Guidance as other countries may be elevated to Level 2 or 3 at any time. Should your child be quarantined, please contact the school immediately for further instructions on how we will continue to provide your child’s education.
Sincerely, Jill Henderson Superintendent
DOWNLOAD THE PDF VERSION HERE.